Lewis County Health Department
360 NW North St. • Chehalis, WA 98532 • (360)740-1224

Mason County Health Department
426 W. Cedar • Shelton, WA 98584 • (360)427-9670 ext. 400

Thurston County Health Department
412 Lilly Rd. NE • Olympia, WA 98506 • (360)786-5581

Federal Internal Revenue Service
IRS regulations change regularly, it is best to contact the IRS directly for their current regulations.

Home and Real Property
Take a certified death certificate to the Tax Assessor’s Office in the county in which the property is owned.

Lewis County Assessor’s Office
360 NW North St. • Chehalis, WA 98532 • (360)740-1392

Mason County Assessor’s Office
411 N. 5th St., Bldg I • Shelton, WA 98584 • (360)427-9670 ext 491

Thurston County Assessor’s Office
2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW, Bldg. 1 • Olympia, WA 98502 • (360)786-5410

Notify a company agent in the local area, or notify the company itself. Check for coverage at the place of employment, auto medical coverage, health and accident coverage and life insurance. Also be sure to check with all credit card companies regarding possible policies on the account. Call the agent for each or write to the headquarters for the appropriate forms for claims. Make sure you keep a written log of who you spoke with and when so that you can track the claims easier. Fire Insurance: remove the name of the deceased from the policies.

Motor Vehicles
Change title for each vehicle, including boats. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at (360) 902-3770.

Safety Deposit Box
If in joint ownership, remove the deceased’s name. If in name of deceased only, inquire with the bank as to what steps need to be taken.

Social Security
Funeral Alternatives of Washington will notify the Social Security Department, the family MUST call Social Security to make an appointment if they are eligible for benefits. Call (800) 772-1213 between 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The requirements are different for each family so you need to get the information from Social Security in order to apply for benefits. In addition, you can access more information via the website: http://www.ssa.gov

Stocks and Bonds
Write to the stock company and ask about their procedure for transferring stocks into your name.

Veterans Administration
Funeral Alternatives of Washington can help you file for burial benefits and obtain a US Flag for the next of kin. In most cases, the cemetery of choice will file ordering of a Veteran’s marker or cemetery reimbursement. VA Regional Office, Office of Memorial Affairs (Benefits information and assistance) (800) 827-1000

Voter Registration
To cancel an individual’s voter registration, write a cancellation notice stating that the individual is deceased. Voter registration cancellation should be sent to:

Lewis County Auditor’s Office
360 NW North St. • Chehalis, WA 98532 • (360)740-1165

Mason County Auditor’s Office
411 N. 5th St., Bldg • Shelton, WA 98584 • (360)427-9670 ext 470

Thurston County Auditor’s Office
2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW, Bldg. 1 • Olympia, WA 98502 • (360)786-5224